At Home In Darien’s newly formed walking club is out and about.
The current walking schedule is:
Monday at 9 am at Waveny Park, New Canaan
Thursday at 9:00 am at Tilly Pond Park or Pear Tree Point (Call our office to confirm)
If you or a Darien senior are interested in walking and would like more information, please contact the office at 203-655-2227. The Darien Steppers are flexible and open to walking any day of the week in any location. Please contact us if you would like to arrange an alternative day/time or location.
Please download and fill out our waiver for the Darien Steppers Club here.
Guidelines for Walking
- Check the weather forecast before your walk so you can plan your clothing and timing accordingly.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing. On sunny days sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat will protect you from the sun and make your walking experience more enjoyable. You may want to bring along a bottle of water as well.
- Wear properly fitted walking shoes.
Warm Up and Cool Down
- Light stretching before your walk prepares your muscles and joints for exercise and slowly elevates your heart rate. This helps to prevent injury and protect your heart.
- Slowing your pace towards the end of your walk will gradually lower your heart rate, which can prevent dizziness and fainting.
(If you are unaccustomed to exercise, you may experience some minor discomfort in your muscles or joints while walking. This may resolve itself once you have been walking regularly for a while. However if these minor pains persist and/or you experience significant pain, you should contact your doctor.)
Roadway Safety Awareness
- If possible, always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road, facing oncoming traffic. This way you can see the cars coming towards you, and the drivers can see you as well.
- Use caution when crossing the street. Use crosswalks whenever possible, but be aware that cars may not stop even when you are in the designated pedestrian crosswalk. Always look both ways, and if there is no crossing signal, wait for a large enough break in traffic that would give you more than enough time to cross the road.
- Be mindful of potholes or cracks in the sidewalk or road. Driveways may create uneven areas of the sidewalk.