There is an African proverb that says “It takes a village to raise a child“. We subscribe to this concept, but our variation of this proverb might read “It takes volunteers to provide the scope of services that Darien’s seniors so richly deserve“. Our quote is a little longer, but no less meaningful!
At Home In Darien is fortunate to enlist a team of amazing volunteers who are committed to helping us in our ongoing mission to help Darien’s seniors live independently, comfortably and with dignity in their own homes and the community as long as possible. These trustworthy and friendly volunteers provide valuable and caring support in a number of ways, including:
- Assisting in providing rides when our paid drivers are unavailable or when schedules won’t allow additional rides
- Visiting with seniors to provide support and companionship
- Shopping for groceries or running local errands
- Helping with small tasks around the home, such as changing light bulbs or re-arranging furniture
- Calling and providing a friendly ear and lively conversation
- Providing seasonal services such as raking leaves or shoveling snow from public sidewalks
Our volunteers remain a vital part of the organization and have such a positive impact on the seniors that they support. Please reach out to us if you are interested in discussing or receiving any of our volunteer services (and of course please let us know if you are interested in becoming a volunteer).